1940’s – 1999
Whereas Chester Master Ltd was created in 1999 the origins of its business date back to the 1940’s.
Our records suggest that the business itself was created in the mid to late 1940’s when Strutt & Parker, currently one of the leading firms in the UK, took on the management of two large local estates. In the early 1950’s Charles Woosnam, who’s father had run a land agency firm in the area for many years, was appointed to run the office by Strutt & Parker and take on his father’s work on his retirement. During this period the office was based at Ceris, Broadway, Builth Wells.
In November 1954 Norman Tyler was employed by Strutt & Parker to work as his assistant. Two years later in 1956 Strutt & Parker merged with another firm to become Strutt & Parker, Lofts & Warner.
In 1963 Charles Woosnam purchased the Builth Wells office from Strutt & Parker, Lofts and Warner and along with Norman Tyler established the firm of Woosnam & Tyler. In 1971 they moved their office to Dolgarreg, North Road, Builth Wells where the business is still located to this day. From 1963 to 1996, Woosnam & Tyler ran a well respected and successful business that managed the majority of the estates in the area. In 1996 with both Charles Woosnam in his 70’s and Norman Tyler in his 60’s the decision was taken to sell the business back to Strutt & Parker who were looking, 33 years on, to re-establish their presence in the area.
In the knowledge that both the founding partners of the business were close to retirement, Strutt & Parker asked Francis Chester-Master to move from their Moreton in Marsh office to run the business alongside Norman Tyler and the other partner Paul Raymond Barker. In 1999 Francis Chester-Master purchased the business from Strutt & Parker.
1999 to date
Since 1999 Chester Master Ltd has striven to develop its business to cover not only the management of traditional rural estates in the area but also wider rural consultancy work in Wales and the Borders. This has led to consultancy work in Wales with, amongst others, the Forestry Commission, the RSPB, the Church in Wales and various wildlife trusts.
Since 1999 the land management team has gradually expanded. Gafyn Blakeway BSc., MRICS, FAAV joined the team in 2002 and Anne Strong BSc., MRICS, FAAV in 2012. The current land management team consists of 3 qualified members of the RICS and CAAV and one trainee.